Story Time: The One with the (Left) Ankle Sprain

Me: I am a very clumsy person. 
Someone in the back: But aren't we all? 
Me: Trust me. You'll understand what I mean in a while.

It was a nice Saturday to carry out a delayed experiment. My group mates and I barely got enough sleep the night before and we have already been delayed a week from our original schedule. At that time, I really thought that it it was the perfect day for an experiment so we could finally be off the hook!

My group mates and I thought to eat lunch at Jollibee in a nearby mall since it was a very hot day and all of us were craving for Jollibee meals. As we were leaving the mall, I was tinkering with my phone while walking. When we were walking down the stairs, I tripped and sprained my left ankle. The stairs only required 3-4 steps to arrive safely to the exit but man, was I being careless.


I felt something snap near my ankle and a sharp piercing pain near the area made me wish I was near an emergency room at that time. I yelled in pain and a lot of people turned around and looked. My friends who were already near the exit were startled to see me lying on the floor while I was looking very pathetic. As my friends tried helping me up, this one woman noticed me in pain and immediately recognized that I sprained my ankle. She started asking me to suspend my leg in the air for a while and told me not to move it as much as possible.

My group mates were already way ahead of me; they asked me to wait in the corner while one of them went out to get a taxi. I immediately felt a bit of shame since, because of my carelessness, we instead spent a large amount on transportation through taxi than through commuting. I could remember the difficulty of getting a taxi at that time since it was rush hour and most taxis were full during noontime. After waiting for a long time we finally got into a taxi and I readily imagined what it could have went like if it happened and I was alone and didn't have anyone else with me.

I insisted that we stop by the lab since we were already very late for our experiment. I thought  at that time, I ignorantly thought at that timethat my ankle would just fix itself after a while but I was wrong and they were right. I needed to get my ankle checked in the clinic and we had to cancel our experiment because of my injury.

When I got to the clinic, I was laughing really hard. Laughing and tearing up at the same time because I didn't want to make things obvious that I was really bothered by the day's happenings. They did a cold compress on my ankle and it was not the most fun 15-20 minutes of my life. I was asked to rest until my ankle got better and they lent me a crutch so that I would have an easier time keeping myself up so there was basically no hope for our group to do our experiment that day.

I was advised to rest and student nurses made me ride a wheelchair all the way to the university portal while shielding me from the rain with an umbrella. Why? Because skimping in crutches is serious hard work *makes XD face* and I didn't have the arm strength for the job. Still, it was one of the most memorable and embarrassing afternoons in my life.

In case you guys don't believe me
Overall, I really didn't know what I'd do if my friends haven't been there at that time. I have to give credit to so many people that day who helped me because I really inconvenienced all of them and they still helped me even with how careless I was being. 

They even assisted me in the dormitory comfort rooms

The lesson here aside from "Clumsiness Goes a Long Way" is that let's not ever underestimate and undervalue our friends or basically anyone. There will always be people who are willing to put up with whatever we are going through and help us no matter how many mistakes we made along the way. This is how our humanity survives. Let's just not hesitate to appreciate.

At the end of the day, this is what is important✍

Special thanks to these guys. Honestly, I'd be lost and hopeless that day if it weren't for you guys. 
I love you and mwahugz! 😭

Note: These guys are also my wonderful group mates and party crew 🙌

Comments

Popular Posts